In collaboration with University Archives and Special Collections.
To coincide with the inauguration of Adelphi’s 10th President, a display of images, objects and ephemera associated with the previous nine occupants of the office will be on display.
The Swirbul Library Gallery is open
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 a.m.
Friday-Saturday: 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
Sunday: 10:00 a.m.-12:00 a.m.
Charles Herbert Levermore was born on October 15, 1856 in Mansfield, Connecticut. Educated at Yale College and Johns Hopkins (PhD, 1886), he taught history at the University of California and MIT before accepting election as Principal of Adelphi Academy in Brooklyn in 1893.
A respected and innovative educator, Dr. Levermore helped establish Adelphi College through a reorganization of the upper grades of the Academy in 1894. Dr. Levermore was appointed the first president of Adelphi College in 1896. During his tenure he oversaw significant growth in enrollment, the establishment of an endowment for the College and, in his final year, the decision to transition Adelphi to a women’s college.
Dr. Levermore resigned as president of Adelphi in 1912 but continued on faculty as professor of history until 1914.
Frank Dickinson Blodgett was born in Cortland, NY on March 29, 1871. After graduating from Amherst College in 1893, he began his college teaching career at Oneonta State Normal School (now SUNY Oneonta). President Blodgett was elected mayor of Oneonta, NY in 1912 serving a three-year term. He was selected as the new president of Adelphi College by the Board of Trustees in 1915. Recognizing that the Brooklyn campus was too small for the growing college, President Blodgett and the Board of Trustees engineered the relocation of Adelphi College to Garden City in 1929.
Frank Blodgett served twenty-three years as president of Adelphi before retiring in 1937.
Paul Dawson Eddy was born in Montgomery, Alabama in 1895. An ordained Methodist minister, Eddy was educated at the University of Pennsylvania and the Crozier Theological Seminary in Chester, PA. From the beginning of his presidency in 1937, Dr. Eddy focused on putting the College on a more solid financial footing, broadening the curriculum and professionalizing Adelphi’s public relations efforts.
Among the significant developments under President Eddy’s tenure were the founding of the schools of nursing and social work, and the department of dance; the building of Adelphi’s first two residence halls and Swirbul Library; the admittance of Adelphi’s first African American student, Helen Holmes, in 1945; and Adelphi’s return to coeducation in 1946. It was also under President Eddy, in 1963, that Adelphi was granted university status by the New York State Board of Regents.
Paul Dawson Eddy retired in 1965 after serving twenty-eight years as president of Adelphi.
Arthur W. Brown was born on April 20, 1917 in Sheshequin, Pennsylvania. A graduate of the University of Scranton with a doctorate in American literature from Syracuse University (1950), Dr. Brown came to Adelphi in September 1963 as a professor of English. While serving as the chairman of the English Department and director of the Institute of the Humanities, he was chosen by the Board of Trustees in November 1964 to succeed President Eddy.
Dr. Brown served as acting president until, following President Eddy’s formal retirement, he became president of Adelphi in July 1965. President Brown resigned in 1967.
Charles Vevier was born on June 15, 1924 in Brooklyn, NY. He completed his BA, MA and PhD in history at the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Vevier was appointed the fifth president of Adelphi in 1969, coming to Adelphi from the University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee where he was vice chancellor. During his short tenure as president he established a black studies program at Adelphi.
Dr. Vevier’s presidency was dominated by significant budget difficulties and university governance challenges, and he resigned in 1971 after serving just two years.
Born in Brooklyn, NY on December 31, 1915, Timothy William Costello held a BS, MA and PhD from Fordham University, having completed his PhD work in psychology while serving in the army as a clinical psychologist during WWII. After spending many years on faculty at New York University, Dr. Costello took leave in 1966 to serve as deputy mayor and city administrator of New York under Mayor John V. Lindsay. After six years in city government and keen to return to academia, Dr. Costello accepted the position of president of Adelphi in 1972. A strong proponent of accessibility, President Costello took steps to increase minority enrollment and address the underrepresentation of women on the Adelphi faculty. He also supported the creation of the Program for the Independent Development through Education (PRIDE), a precursor of the General Studies program.
President Costello retired in 1985.
Born on September 1, 1928 in Iraklion, Crete, Peter Theodore Diamandopoulos left Greece (where his family had fled during WWII) to attend Harvard University. At Harvard he completed bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and earned a doctorate in philosophy and classics (1957). After lecturing at Brandeis University, serving as director of studies at the Adlai Stevenson Institute of International Affairs in Chicago, and a six-year term as president of Sonoma State University in California, Dr. Diamandopoulos was appointed by the Board of Trustees in 1985 as Adelphi University’s seventh president.
Dr. Diamandopoulous took office with an ambitious vision for the university, establishing a Society of Mentors, developing an Honors College, and instituting a program of renovation to expand, modernize and beautify Adelphi’s campus. His tenure as president, however, was an often tumultuous one marked by increasingly acrimonious tensions between the faculty and administration.
Following a particularly polarizing final few years of his presidency that saw a formal resolution passed by the faculty demanding his removal, an inquiry by the New York State attorney general’s office, and the dismissal of eighteen of nineteen trustees by the State Board of Regents, President Diamandopolous was removed from office by the new Board of Trustees in 1997.
Matthew Goldstein was born on November 10, 1941 in New York, NY. He holds a bachelor’s degree from City College, a master’s from Rutgers University and a PhD in mathematical statistics from the University of Connecticut. President Goldstein came to Adelphi in June 1998 from Baruch College where he was president for seven years. He had previously served as acting vice-chancellor for academic affairs at CUNY and president of the Research Foundation of the City University of New York. A mathematician by training, Dr. Goldstein established a new Office of Research, Assessment and Planning at Adelphi to encourage data-driven decision making and more systematic program planning.
Dr. Goldstein left Adelphi in July 1999, after just over one year at the helm, to become chancellor of CUNY.
Robert Allyn Scott was born in 1939 in New Jersey and grew up in Mount Vernon, a suburb of New York City. Dr. Scott holds a BA in English from Bucknell and a PhD in sociology from Cornell (1975). A navy veteran who served in the Philippines, Dr. Scott arrived at Adelphi as its ninth president following fifteen years as president of Ramapo College in northern New Jersey. He had previously served as assistant commissioner and director of Academic Affairs for the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and as associate dean and senior administrator of the College of Arts and Sciences at Cornell.
Among President Scott’s accomplishments as president were the addition of numerous new academic programs, the development of The Center for Social Innovation and the expansion of Adelphi’s satellite centers. He also prioritized securing accreditation for all of Adelphi’s professional schools, a goal accomplished in 2007 with the accreditations of the Business and Education schools. Adelphi’s campus was significantly transformed under President’s Scott’s leadership with the opening of two new residence halls, the Performing Arts Center (AUPAC), the Alice Brown Early Learning Center and the Center for Recreation and Sports. He also initiated the building of the soon-to-be-opened Nexus Building and Welcome Center.
After fifteen years in office, President Scott stepped down on June 30, 2015 to become president emeritus and university professor.