Discover and Explore your Passion – Annual High School Special Event Series
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Long gone are the days when paperboys hit the streets to call attention to breaking news. The world of news and media is now constantly evolving through many platforms including social media, blogs, radio and TV, which allow for more opportunities for those interested in pursuing a career in media.
At Press Day, on March 9, 2016, we uncover some tips of the trade from the craftsmen of the media industry including newspaper and magazine editors, online and newspaper reporters, and freelance writers.
The highlight of the event is the presentation of the Quill Awards, featuring 15 categories: Best Photograph, Best Illustration or Cartoon, Best Layout, Best One-Page Layout, Best Sports Story or Column, Best Arts Review, Best Opinion Piece, Best Editorial, Best Feature Article, Best News Article, Best Online Newspaper, Best Online Writing, Best Freelance Work, Most Outstanding Reporter and Most Outstanding Newspaper. Find out more about each category!
Wednesday, March 9
|8:15 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
|9:05 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Welcoming Remarks/Panel Discussion
|10:40 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
|11:50 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
|12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Quill Awards Presentation
Please note that registration for Press Day is now closed as the event has reached capacity. To add your school to the waiting list, please email email@example.com.
If you have already registered, please email your signed Photo Release Form to firstname.lastname@example.org or you must bring them the day of the event.
Once your school is registered, an email will be sent out to all participating students confirming their registration and explaining next steps.
Quill Awards Competition Submissions
To submit work to the Quill Awards competition, please be sure to follow the instructions listed below. All submissions must be submitted no later than Friday, February 12, 2016. Download the Quill Awards Competition Submission Form. Any materials received that are not in accordance to with these guidelines may be disqualified.
- Each school may enter up to six categories with a maximum of one entry per category.
- A copy of the Quill Awards Competition Form must be attached to each submission.
- To be considered for an award, all submissions must have been produced between March 2015 and February 2016.
- Please send three separate issues with three copies of each submission.
- Be sure that all print matter, including editorials, layout design and cartoons, have a byline and title as submissions will not be eligible for a Quill Award without this information.
- Students must participate in Press Day to be eligible to receive a Quill Award. All students must attend Press Day with a faculty advisor.
- All submission materials must be mailed to the address below :
Office of Events, Marketing and Creative Services
Levermore Hall, Room 206
1 South Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
e – email@example.com
p – 516.877.3690
Learn more about Adelphi’s Department of Communications.
This event is part of the Annual High School Special Event Series.